Sunday, June 2, 2024

Another Marvelous Event in the Books!

 

Yesterday was the 2024 Reading Rocks in Rockford event and I had a fantastic time!

It started off running into a librarian friend Sara who along with a couple other staff helped me get my shade tent up!  I struggle with that thing so much - especially when I am alone.  I really need to invest in a fancier, easy-up tent if I am going to continue to use one!

Next I ran into Kevin Kammeraad who I knew as a performer we had at our library for years.  Hadn't seen him since pre-covid.  As with many, things blossomed in other directions for him during Covid and he is now not performing as much, but does have a PBS show Wimee's Words which is based on one of his last puppets I saw - a robot puppet!  How cool is that?!  You never know where life might take you.

When the author's row opened, I had my first mom and son heading towards my table so I pulled out my microphone and sang "Do you love to sing?! and he took my mic and we started singing Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes"!  How magnificent!   He was a charming kiddo and they stopped by again for more singing later.

I think what sets this event apart from regular craft shows is that it is for readers - they host school reading awards, there's a library book sale and then of course the author area, so it attracts people who love to read.  I do love craft shows: you get to talk to people who are pleasantly surprised to see a table full of books.  It is a joy to talk with people about my books - people interested in them, people wanting to write, people with questions about reading levels and learning to read tips; it is all so much fun and rewarding!

I think with the school reading awards, it is really geared towards writers of children's books, but that's K-18.  A wide range!   If you missed it this year, take a look next year.  It is worth it! 

*** note, I keep using pictures of my set up because I think authors new to events might want to get ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment