Monday, January 15, 2024

What happens to your books when you die?

 

What happens to your books when you die?  Have you considered that yet?  This was a question posed to me by a friend and I fully admit, I hadn't even given it a thought, but as is with anything you own, if you don't specify a benefactor, then the rights to your books will go to your estate to be forgotten or fought over.

Now really, at this point in time the rights to my books really wouldn't be a whole lot to fight over; at least that is what I think.  But who knows years from now. 

From the passing of my elders, I have learned some tough lessons.  #1.  No one warns you about the paperwork.   If there is not a paper trail, be ready for hefty fees and long, drawn-out legal proceedings.  Nothing was really difficult, especially with the help of a lawyer, but it did take a long time.  

To avoid any issues, I strongly suggest that you consult with a lawyer and get it down exactly what you want done with your intellectual property when you pass away.  Do you want to give the copyright to your children or a foundation?  Do you want things divided up?   Make those decisions now.

Here is a nice, concise read with some great information: What Happens to Intellectual Property When Someone Dies?

No comments:

Post a Comment