Sunday, October 8, 2023

How to prep for your first author vendor event

 

In a couple of weeks I will attend my fourth author event.  This one at the Potterville Holiday Market. I am really looking forward to it and being able to highlight my holiday titles. While planning for the event I thought I might make a list of things to help other new authors get organized.  

1. If you are self-published and not attending vendor events, do try them!   In Michigan we have Facebook pages for organizations to advertise vendor events.  Check your state; they probably have some too!

2.  Regarding items you will need to have:  table, table cloth, chairs, canopy for outdoor events, baskets or other devices to hold your books. I have linked the items I purchased off Amazon (the baskets are from Five Below) and I do NOT get paid for any referrals. Baskets and book holders I picked up from Goodwill.

3.  Additional items: baskets to hold small items, bright cloth if you can not yet purchase a  printed one, business card holders (I designed my business cards and had them printed via canva.com).

4.  If you can, go for printed hanging or canvas signs.  You can even have your canopy personalized.  After my first event, I did get a sign printed using Uprinting and purchased this easel from Amazon to hold it.  Cheap, but it does the job!  My sign from Uprinting was on foam core and about 2' X 3'.  As I talked about in a previous post, it came with a wrinkle.  I sent a note to the company and I just heard back that they are going to reprint it for free.  I think that is very nice of them and I greatly appreciate it!

5.  Speaking of signs, you might want to make something with a QR code to your website and also a sign listing QR codes for popular payment options buyers can use like Venmo, CashApp, or PayPal.  This can be created and printed from canva.com or other sources very easily.  ***With payment options, I LOVE my Square Card Reader and it is the most popular way people choose to pay.  I was hesitant at first, but it is very easy to use.  Check it out!

6.  People love free items!  I borrowed a button maker from our local library and made buttons of my books to hand out.  I also designed bookmarks through canva.com and then had them printed through Walgreens.  Lastly I purchased stickers through Amazon which were a hit with people of all ages.

7.  Something to transport everything from your car to the event!  After trying different things, I ended up with this cart which can hold table as well as all of the things.  WOOT!  The canopy I have to transport separately. 

8.  Just one last note, I suggest bringing a cooler with drinks and snacks and also bring someone with you to help with the setup and to watch the table if you have to step away.

I hope these ideas have been helpful.  Have you attended any vendor events?  If so, please add your own suggestions to the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment