Friday, June 7, 2024

The need for diversions

 

For a brief time while in college I worked morning shifts for a bakery.  There were a lot of regulars.  One in particular would come in, get a glazed donut, cup of coffee and would read the newspaper comics. He once said to me that this ritual was his diversion and that everyone needs a diversion to keep their mind sharp.  That thought has stayed with me, and I have even expounded upon the topic. Everyone certainly needs a diversion - they need something that is theirs and theirs alone, shared only when they choose to share.  Something away from family and work.  Something away even perhaps from friends.  Something that is all their own giving them an outlet to release their creative energy, reflect on life/problems/joys and manage their thoughts.  Something they control in a way they see fit.  

For me, my picture books have been a diversion which allows them to still be fun (instead of pressures of deadlines or demands).   My books are a creative outlet and also an educational one.  I utilize my education sharing information in their creation that I hope will be helpful to adults and their kiddos.  I design them with a purpose.  I work on them in quiet corners of the house or late into the night when others are sleeping.  The time is my own. I have the Great British Baking Show on in the background (there's a Roku channel that plays it 24/7 !) the animals stay near keeping me company and I can mutter to myself without anyone saying "what?".  

When I am ready, I can share them with family to get their opinions.  We may hash out rhymes or page layouts, or perhaps I'll end up trashing the whole thing and starting fresh.  None of this is upsetting mind you - I love the creative process and treasure the time spent on the books, but I needed something more.

My Redbubble store  was the cumulation of crazy marketing ideas and a need for another creative outlet. I have darn near 500 glass plate negatives from my grandpa.  I have only scanned about 300 but there are so many that I think are simply lovely.  I've bounced around ideas on what to do with them... just prints?  Or could there be more?   Then of course I wished to also advertise my picture books - how could I do this?  Could I come up with hot dog puns to help sell Five Little Hot Dogs ?  Well yes I could!  And my Redbubble store was born. 

As of now I have over 60 designs and more ideas in my head!   Now that I don't have any books in the works, this gives me the opportunity to continue to stay up into the wee hours and still create.   Check them out and let me know what you think!  And also share your diversions! What do you do for yourself and your own growth?

No comments:

Post a Comment